1986 nespole are not the only fruit

In Abruzzo in June I tasted this fantasic fruit which is small,orange/yellow and sweet/tart.Its called nespole.
Who has tried growing this tree and what pruning methods are needed?

I asked a local about buying fruit trees and they said that the Abruzzo Forestry Dept may give you fruit trees or other types of native trees so I need to investigate this.
We have 3,000 sq mts with about 6 olive trees and lots of oaks and other trees although most of the land is registered as a vineyard!!!The last vines here must have been at least 60 years ago judging by the size of the oaks!!

Do Italians use manure or other forms of compost?I will build a compost heap for out leaves and veg peelings but if were growing veg on pretty thin soil we will need some bulk material...oh I forgot what is manure in Italian??

BNecky

Category
Gardening & Agriculture

We have a nespole tree - certainly we see it flower and fruits grow but by the time we have returned they have been eaten by wild boar. I must admit there are healthier looking ones on other neighbouring plots of land so there must be some kinds of attention to be given.

There are a couple of classic texts on mediterranean gardening that give advice on compost. I think the difficulty is stopping it going slimey. I believe leafbased compost can be successful - we have yet to try.

Pruning and feeding of fruit trees is an interesting topic I wonder if we have experts out there who could share their wisdom?

Is nespole medlar by any chance?

The fruit that you harvest then leave until it is nearly rotten before you eat it?

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

The proper name for Nespole is Loquat and are my favourite fruit been italian.I have a couple of allottments and I still struggle to find a garden centre that have loquat in stock or at least know where to order it

Yes, nespole=medlar, or so my friends David & Linda have told me. We have several nespole trees but the only one who eats the fruit is a local friend. Also found some almond trees among our olives during the harvest and have picked one tree, the other is still to be done .

[QUOTE=etruria]Yes, nespole=medlar, or so my friends David & Linda have told me. We have several nespole trees but the only one who eats the fruit is a local friend. Also found some almond trees among our olives during the harvest and have picked one tree, the other is still to be done .[/QUOTE]

Yes Etruria nespole = medlar In English the fruit is ready to eat when it is 'bletted' nearly rotten! Sadly we do not have any yet. The fruit makes a lovely jelly similar to that of quince.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]No the tree that I saw was not a medlar the fruits are entirley different and the season is different.Nespole fruit in June and have an oval yellow/red fruit.

The medlar I have in the UK fruits in Sept and you leave the fruits on until the first frost.The fruit is brown. However there could be confusion as I was told the tree I saw was nespole by an Italian who perhaps didnt know what it was so said the nearest thing and both trees have large leathery leaves.[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Becky[/FONT]

The translation for Nespole is Loquat and defenetly not Medlar.So difficult to find it here in UK though.

[QUOTE=manopello][FONT="Book Antiqua"]No the tree that I saw was not a medlar the fruits are entirley different and the season is different.Nespole fruit in June and have an oval yellow/red fruit.

The medlar I have in the UK fruits in Sept and you leave the fruits on until the first frost.The fruit is brown. However there could be confusion as I was told the tree I saw was nespole by an Italian who perhaps didnt know what it was so said the nearest thing and both trees have large leathery leaves.[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Becky[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Tree tomato perhaps?

The scientific name for nespole and medlar is Mespilus germanica (though nespole is Mespilus germanica L.)

Same family different varietyLoquat or Nespole is Mespilus Japonica and you must consume the fruit fresh from the tree not rotten

Actually this is probably it with the thick deeply lined leaves and sprays of white flowers - a loquat not a medlar. They are very popular in Spain for their acidic refreshing taste in hot weather. They are certainly not left to blet.

[QUOTE=Cassini]Actually this is probably it with the thick deeply lined leaves and sprays of white flowers - a loquat not a medlar. They are very popular in Spain for their acidic refreshing taste in hot weather. They are certainly not left to blet.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Haven't seen loquats since I was a boy.

Generally the growing of loquats is discouraged as their fruiting season provides a 'bridge' for agricultural pests between one growing season and another.

Sano do tell me more. We are certainly vexed with pests in pears, peaches, plums. Only the cherries seem imune until the wasps get at them. We would prefer to be biological and haven't intervened any more than grease bands.

Incidentally, if you know how to revive a thinly growing fig . . ..

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]We have a fig tree in Cornwall which fruits well but the Blackbirds eat them.Its important to remove the little figs that don't ripen in the UK each winter as they sap strength from the tree.

Have you tried this?Also its best to confine the roots or you get tons of green leaves but little fruit.

Becky[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=manopello][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]We have a fig tree in Cornwall which fruits well but the Blackbirds eat them.Its important to remove the little figs that don't ripen in the UK each winter as they sap strength from the tree.

Have you tried this?Also its best to confine the roots or you get tons of green leaves but little fruit.

Becky[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

This was the first rule of fig growing that I was told of when we were given two small trees - the roots need to struggle if you want the tree to thrive. We planted both trees in good ground, but the one site was full of rubble - that tree not only grew faster but provided two heavy crops of figs a year. So the only thing I can think of if your tree is not doing well is to 'stress' the tree in some way.

I doublechecked the info re loquats - apparently they provide a bridge for fruit fly in particular. So if you have this problem in your area you either spray the loquats to keep it under control, or don't grow this fruit at all.

[B][B][SIZE=3][I]Eriobotrya japonica[/I][/SIZE][/B][/B]

[SIZE=3]Known as Loquat in California and Nespolo/Nespola in Italy (Nispero in Spain), this evergreen tree is actually native to south-eastern China, but is now grown around the world. It is particularly happy in mediterranean climates where is has become a popular fruit tree. Often called 'Japanese medlar' (it has been grown in Japan for a very long time and I suppose the fruit looks a bit like the English medlar, [I]Mispilus germanica[/I].

The large, stiff leaves are distinctive, forming attractive downy tufts of upright new growth in early spring, after the mid-winter clusters of creamy flowers. Honey from these flowers is highly prised in Spain, being of delicate flavor. The round to oval fruit ripens in spring or early summer, and can be orange-yellow to creamy-white, depending upon variety. If you plan to eat the fruit (this species is also grown as an ornamental), look for a selected agricultural clone with larger, fleshier fruit as seedling grown trees (commonly offered) have only the scantest amount of flesh surrounding the very large seeds.

[/SIZE][url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/martamare/2519262268/in/pool-1018294@N25][IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2519262268_67c703df1b.jpg[/IMG][/url]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

My Italian Mother, grew one most succesfully in East Anglia.

But the Italian deer love to eat any young nespole tree you choose to plant...almost every scrap and that's before the fruit appears. So if they visit your garden beware or it will end in tears!

Another case of learning something new on this forum, I now know what the strange tree on our terrace is, its been much overshadowed by our mimosa and was struggling, I shall now prune the mimosa and give it a chance.
A

It makes a brilliant dense conserve - delicious.

Nespole/medlar also makes a wonderful Jelly, have made some from my tree on my UK allotment. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

[quote=Robert Stoner;117268]Nespole/medlar also makes a wonderful Jelly, have made some from my tree on my UK allotment. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.[/quote]

I would love the recipe and I am sure that many would also like to have it. Thank you.

Medlar Jelly -

This recipe is one that was published in the Daily Telegraph in 2006.

The fruit needs to be picked and then 'bletted' or allowed to mature. Store them open side down ( so that they are on what look like the tendrils). Use the fruit when it is nearly ripe but before it has gone soft. Cut the fruit into quarters, put them in a large pan just covering with water. The juice of a lemon can be added at this point depending on how sharp you want the jelly to be. (I haven't done this as the natural effect is a rather warm autumnal taste). Boil very slowly until the fruit is broken but do not crush it. It can be cooked inside an AGA or similar range.When the fruit is soft strain it all through a jelly bag or some muslin leaving it to drip overnight. Do not squeeze the bag or it will become cloudy. For each 600ml of juice add 450g of granulated sugar. medlars have a very high pectin so should set easily. Warm over a gently heat until sugar is completely dissolved before bringing to a rolling boil until setting point is reached. Remove from the heat and take off any scum. Pour into clean warm jars and cover. Then enjoy!!!